How Do I Pick a Good Landscaper?
13-Apr-2018 | by Scott Bennett
Anyone who has surfed the internet or driven around town in the spring can see that there are many landscaping companies. Some are pretty small operations—perhaps one or two guys and a truck. Others are huge! Some only do maintenance and others do installation and design. Which do I choose?
Is the small guy dependable and honest? Is the big company going to really take care of me? Luckily, finding a good landscaper isn’t as hard as it seems. Below are some tips to help you find the right company for you.
6 Tips for Finding a Great Landscaper
- What do you value the most? Price? Quality? Service? It’s likely that you will be able to get 2 out of the 3 values. Decide what means the most to you.
- What do you want a landscaper to do? If you’re looking for lawn care and some spring and fall weeding and trimming, many companies of all sizes and prices should be able to help you. If you are looking for a complete redesign of your yard or another large project, fewer companies have the expertise for this. You definitely want expertise, though! Be picky.
- Search the internet and read websites and reviews. A company’s website can give you an idea of what the company specializes in and how they do business. You can also get a sense of how long they’ve been in business. You’ll notice reviews that are 5-star positive and others that are 1-star negative. Remember, the truth is often somewhere in between. With that said, reviews can help you decide on a company to call.
- Find a landscaper with before and after photos. Do you like what you see? Does their style match yours?
- Ask neighbors and friends for referrals. If a friend had a good experience with a company, chances are you will, too.
- Invite 2-3 companies to bid the work you would like done.